FEMA Flood Area
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is currently updating their Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM).
The City of Rawlins is currently assessing our options to proceed in regards to the updated FIRM. We have notified FEMA of a 54 inch pipeline installed in 1979 and they are reviewing the map based on this information. We are working with FEMA jointly to ensure the maps are as accurate as possible. The City is also finalizing a request for proposals to obtain engineering assistance to evaluate the floodplain, and to potentially reduce the size of the floodplain if the engineer’s study supports the reduction.
The City is required to decide if we will be participating in FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
If the City decides to participate, this will:
- Require residents with property in the identified floodplain with federally back mortgages, current and future, or other mortgages at the choice of the specific lender to obtain flood insurance through the NFIP.
- Grant our community eligibility to receive federal assistance in the event of a flood.
- Require the city to create and enforce additional ordinances for structures within the floodplain that would apply to all new construction as well as any work that impacts 50% or more of the current structure.
If the City decides to not participate, this will:
- Require residents with property in the identified floodplain with federally back mortgages, current and future, or other mortgages at the choice of the specific lender to obtain insurance that covers flooding privately.
- Exclude our community from being eligible and receiving federal assistance in the event of a flood.
- Exclude our community from some Federal grants.
Information from FEMA:
Maps of Rawlins:
Public Open Houses
FEMA is hosting Public Open Houses September 14-16 for Carbon County, with Rawlins, Saratoga, Sinclair, Riverside, and Encampment specifically discussed on September 14 at 5 pm. These open houses are taking place via Zoom and include presentation followed by an open question and answer session. The Zoom link is https://ogilvy.zoom.us/j/6084529549 and the Passcode is 7477. Visit bit.ly/CarbonCoOH for more information.
To help guarantee access for all residents, the City of Rawlins and the City of Saratoga, in cooperation with the Carbon County Office of Emergency Management are hosting the identical sessions in person. The Rawlins session is at the Jeffrey Center at 315 W. Pine and the Saratoga session is at the Platte Valley Community Center at 210 W. Elm. This opportunity is for those individuals that do not have access to Zoom and therefore cannot participate from home. Social distancing will be required and all individuals in attendance will be required to wear a mask with no exceptions. Mask will be provided if needed.
CITY COUNCIL AND STAFF WANT TO HEAR FROM THE RESIDENTS THAT THIS WOULD DIRECTLY IMPACT. Please let us know what you think and include your contact name, telephone number, mailing and email address. Reply by mail to City of Rawlins, PO Box 953, Rawlins, WY 82301. If you prefer you can also drop if off at City Hall in person or at the drop box located in the alley, or at Public Works at 915 3rd St. You can submit feedback online at “Report a Concern” on rawlinswy.org to “Community Relations”. Please return all feedback by September 30th, 2020. The final decision is expected to go to council in Fall of 2020.
Want printed copies of this information? Feel free to rd