Pothole Season is Upon Us – Reminders from Public Works
After this winter, potholes are back with a vengeance! This week alone our streets crew has filled potholes with over 15 tons of milled asphalt and over 1000 pounds of cold mix. We are hitting the same areas multiple times as the pothole fill floods out. We will be working on potholes with milled asphalt and cold mix until it is warm enough to hot patch the potholes.
Keep your eyes peeled and avoid potholes when possible. Not only will this help prevent damage to your vehicle, but it can also help protect the road from further damage.
2. Watch out for water - large potholes collect water making it hard to know how deep the pothole really is.
3. Keep a safe following distance from the person in front of you. They will react if they see a pothole and alert you.
4. Don't swerve. This may feel like the right thing to do but could put you in more danger. If you can't safely avoid it, gently brake before the pothole, and take the pothole head-on slowly.
5. Watch your speed, if you are driving on a street that looks like it’s been in a war, slow down.
6. Report them at www.rawlinswy.gov/concern
or call 307-328-4599. Please include the approximate size of the pothole to help with prioritization. They will be placed on the list for temporary filling and hot patching in the summer.